Built in 1885 for the railway line to cross The Georges River. It is an excellent example of a single track steel lattice bridge. Despite being built as a single track bridge, it was a source of congestion when the track on both sides of the river was duplicated, leading to a gauntlet track over the bridge itself. Congestion was finally eased in 1972 when a new concrete, double track structure was built on the western side, parallel to the original bridge. By 1985, the bridge had been converted to a walking/cycle track, providing a well used crossing over the river – there is no other pedestrian bridge over the river nearby.
Information sourced from Sydney Water, who take a keen interest in heritage items around Sydney, and have plenty of interesting information on their website.